Kevin De Bruyne’s 10-year trophy-laden spell at Manchester City will come to an end once this season is over, following his announcement that he will leave the club.
The midfielder, who turns 34 in June, has just two months remaining on his current deal at the Etihad and he revealed on Friday that he will not extend that into an 11th campaign.
De Bruyne will leave unquestionably as a City legend having won 16 trophies to date there, since joining from German side Wolfsburg in 2015, including six Premier League titles and their maiden Champions League in 2023.
In a statement released on social media, the Belgium playmaker wrote: ‘Nothing about this is easy to write, but as football players, we all know this day eventually comes. That day is here – and you deserve to hear it from me first.
‘Football led me to all of you – and to this city. Chasing my dream, not knowing this period would change my life. This city. This club. These people… gave me EVERYTHING. I had no choice but to give EVERYTHING back! And guess what – we won EVERYTHING.
‘Whether we like it or not, it’s time to say goodbye. Suri, Rome, Mason, Michele, and I are beyond grateful for what this place has meant to our family.
‘Every story comes to an end, but this has definitely been the best chapter.’
Pep Guardiola: ‘De Bruyne is one of the greatest’
City manager Pep Guardiola insinuated in his pre-game press conference on Friday that it was his decision to not renew De Bruyne’s contract but was full of praise for his midfielder.
‘It was not easy for me to tell him it won’t continue,’ Guardiola said.
‘You always have to be careful, have respect for the players who play main roles, and incredible players that play for the last, I don’t know, 20, 30 years in this club. But come on, there’s no doubt he’s one of the greatest, for sure. Because of his consistency – except the last year, year and a half, that he had injury problems – in important games and not important games, and every three days being there.
‘Our success in the last decade, that would be impossible without him. I will bet a lot of money that it’s [a statute outside the Etihad] going to happen.’
What next for De Bruyne?
The Belgium captain has been linked with a move to the Saudi Pro League in the past and could have suitors again – having said last June that he was ‘open’ to a move’.
There was also concrete interest from Major League Soccer’s 2025 expansion club San Diego FC before the new season.
Kevin De Bruyne statement in full
Dear Manchester,
Seeing this, you probably realise where this is heading. So I’ll get straight to it and let you all know that these will be my final months as a Manchester City player.
Nothing about this is easy to write, but as football players, we all know this day eventually comes. That day is here – and you deserve to hear it from me first.
Football led me to all of you – and to this city. Chasing my dream, not knowing this period would change my life. This city. This club. These people… gave me EVERYTHING. I had no choice but to give EVERYTHING back! And guess what – we won EVERYTHING.
Whether we like it or not, it’s time to say goodbye. Suri, Rome, Mason, Michele, and I are beyond grateful for what this place has meant to our family.
“Manchester” will forever be on our kids’ passports— and more importantly, in each of our hearts.
This will always be our HOME.
We cannot thank the city, club, staff, team-mates, friends, and family enough for this 10-year ride.
Every story comes to an end, but this has definitely been the best chapter.
Let’s enjoy these last moments together!
Much love,
KDB